Monday, April 16, 2012

Chapter 1: The Read/Write Web

Putting It into Perspective

After reading chapter 1, I was utterly amazed by the advances of the Internet in only 22 years. Wow have our lives been transformed: from politics to classrooms, the shift in journalism to a "society of authorship.”  We are writing history in “real time” together which is amazing.  I do have an issue with the fact that everyone’s lives are an open book.  Is it a good thing that there are NO secrets?  Everyone makes mistakes, but the difference now is that because we are always connected due to the technology at our fingertips; our mistakes are aired out like dirty laundry. 

            I agree whole heartedly that educators need to make the shift to learn about these new technologies as well as incorporate them into their classrooms.  We truly are behind the 8 ball, so to speak.  Our students do think and learn differently due to the availability of technology, and in order for us to get thorough to them we need to change our teaching style.  As a science teacher I think using blogs and wikis will make my classroom more engaging and it will help my students connect with other students around the world.  My goal is to have a real time data collection collaborative with students around the world to study topics such as global climate change, plate tectonics and seasons.

Below is a picture of my first computer, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment