Monday, April 16, 2012

Chapter 3: Weblogs- Get Started!


Getting Started!

Where do I begin?  What I got out of the reading is first get comfortable with blogging yourself, then start small with the students.  Baby steps!  Here is my plan for next year:  First show students the blog I created for them and discuss how to use it, and then have them respond to a question/topic of the week, next have them create the actual posts for discussion, and finally have them create their own blogs.   I have the content and layout mapped out in my mind; however I am struggling with the few students who are not connected.  Do I print out the discussions and have them respond in a written format?

Blog safety is a bit of a concern as well. I will definitely have my students use first names and/or pseudonyms as a precaution.  After all, you can never be too careful these days.  However I believe that the benefits of integrating blogs into the classroom greatly outweigh the risks.  I don’t completely understand how to keep them from clicking to the Next Blog due to the fact that it may be inappropriate.  Why would it link to a random blog rather than the other blogs I created?  Also, if I don’t allow the students to publish their posts, then am I the only one that can see them?   

No comments:

Post a Comment