Monday, April 16, 2012

Chapter 4: Wikis

Whackypedia is Not so Wacky!

Wikipedia is just another example of how one person’s ideas can revolutionize the world!  My thoughts on Wikipedia have completely changed after reading this chapter.  I was one of those teachers that said Wikipedia is an unacceptable source for research due to the fact that it can be changed.  I was unaware of the Wiki police and their system of checks and balances.  I was also ignorant of the benefits of using a wiki in terms of the real time collaboration that takes place.  I examined some of the wikis listed in the chapter; however I was a bit confused by how they were set up.  After setting up a wiki myself, I found it to be user friendly. 

My goal is to have students create a wiki on plate tectonics.  They will travel around the world virtually and assemble a unit on ”real time” plate tectonics.  This will allow them to monitor volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis and discuss the science behind them.  I think it will make the unit more engaging for my students.  I think if I have a wiki for each class, then they can collaborate with approximately 25 of their peers in the process.  I think that may be easier to monitor rather than one wiki for 142 students. Just like anything you try for the first time, it will be a process of trial and error to determine what works best. 

1 comment:

  1. My opinion has also changed because I always thought that maybe all the informatin was not true. We were always told not to let the kids use wikipedia. Now I know it is at least a beginning tool that we can use.

    ReplyDelete