Flickerishious
Integrating student photography into science class would be wonderful. There is a push to integrate art into STEM,
which spells STEAM (science, technology, engineering, ART and math). This would fit in perfectly. After all, nature is some of the most
beautiful artwork I have ever seen, which is also science.
I like that access can be restricted. One of the issues that I have with parents is that they do not want their children to be posted on the World Wide Web. As time goes on, this will no doubt be unavoidable, but for now they have the right to deny the use of these technologies in school. I think educating the parents on a parent night by doing a brief presentation on the risks and benefits of using these technologies would help to overcome this obstacle.
I like that access can be restricted. One of the issues that I have with parents is that they do not want their children to be posted on the World Wide Web. As time goes on, this will no doubt be unavoidable, but for now they have the right to deny the use of these technologies in school. I think educating the parents on a parent night by doing a brief presentation on the risks and benefits of using these technologies would help to overcome this obstacle.
Features available on Flickr make it a valuable tool in the classroom. The
annotation tool available on Flickr makes it easy to point out features of a
picture. Also the ability to link your
photos to Google earth allows for students to make a global connection. Taking them on a virtual field trip through pictures
is fun and engaging. I think that
incorporating Flicks into my unit on Plate Tectonics is going to help make the
necessary connections between what happens and why.
Of course parents have the right to protect their kids from exposure on the web but it is going to be unavoidable. I'll help with the parent presentation. Maybe we could demonstrate the tools that we intend to use. Once they see how great they are it may alleviate some fears.
ReplyDeleteI feel like the parents will really want their children to us this. I mean you are right with all the uses in the different classes. I can see how students can use this with Google Earth for Geography. I can't wait to see what they can do.
ReplyDelete